Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Birthday Party

Yesterday Joe, Tammy, Lena, and I threw a birthday party for one of the girls in Vacya's class. We took chips, cookies, pop, and other treats for the kids, as well as gifts for the birthday girl and the rest of the class. They had a great time and so did we. We are planning to have the class come to church this Sunday, which is when Easter will be celebrated here. The church is having a picnic after the service Sunday morning and we may try to have an Easter egg hunt for the kids too. Tammy is also trying to plan a trip to Sevestopol to an aquarium there. The kids will be on break from school all of next week, so it will be a good time to take them.

We have still been visiting Vacya daily and spending some time alone with him most days. It is hard, though, when we take him outside and many of the orphans want to join us. We are trying to balance giving the other kids the love and attention they are desperately wanting and building our relationship with Vacya while we wait to take him home.

Joe went out to the orphange by himself today because I wasn't feeling well. For those of you that don't know, I found out a few days before we left the US that I need to have my gall bladder removed. We obviously didn't have time for me to have surgery before we left, so I have to wait until we get back. I just try to be careful about what I eat, but it's hard because so much of the food here is greasy. I often just order rice at restaurants, but even that is cooked in oil. Luckily I brought a lot of oatmeal with me :) I haven't had too much trouble with my stomach so far, but today it was hurting, so I decided to stay home. The bumpy bus rides are enough to make you sick even when you're feeling good :)

Tomorrow we're going out to the orphanage earlier in the day so we can spend then evening with Vadim and Lena, a young couple from the church here. They spent some time in the US at school and speak English very well. We are going to try to teach them to play euchre, which Vadim has been wanting to learn how to play for a long time since he heard about the card game when he was in the states. Vadim's band is playing outside in town on Saturday at an event that was organized by another church here, so we're looking forward to going to that also.

7 comments:

Julie H. said...

Wow, you guys are really doing a lot of great things with the kids while you are there! That is fantastic. I really hope that your plans work out. I am sorry to hear that you had a tough day health day. Hang in there girl! Keeping you in my prayers.
Love Ya Julie

Lacie said...

I love you guys so much and we are praying BIG prayers! Health and timely court proceedings are at the top of the list. I know how hard it is to feel sick when you aren't on your own continent...dealing with foreign food makes it harder. Keep your chin up - I know you will - you are pretty determined. Hugs,
-Lace

Dad / Mom Wager said...

Jaime, I hope your pain is settling down. Stay strong baby.

I've only met one other person that plays cards like Joe and that is his father!!?
How fun it is to learn that you have met a young couple to spend time with. Jaime....PLEASE tell Vadim that not all Americans play cards like your husband!! :)

On the homefront:
Sarah had a doc appt today ~ He is concerned with her swelling.

Grandpa Bob recently purchased 27 acres.(close to home)
He has already planted fruit trees on it. He is feeling pretty good these days. Grandpa & Grandma ask about you often & they check the updates on line.

I am still trying to teach Unka Bill how to access your blog.....this however, may be a lost cause. LOL!

Dr. Murray sends his best to you. He recently read an article on
adoption of Russian children. He said normally he probably wouldn't have taken time to read it but it caught his eye, and he instantly thought of the two of you so he made time.

Diane shared that your horses are doing fine.
Love You, Mom

Julie said...

Hey - how are you two crazy kids feeling? Joe, I heard from your mom that you weren't feeling so hot the other day. I hope you both are well. My little Nicholas started walking this week. He's so cute! He still doesn't have any teeth. You can check out recent pics of him at www.timandjulie.blogspot.com
Lots of Love,

Aunt Julie

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Anna just sent me the link to your blog. I am so glad she did since I had no idea you had one. I'm excited to hear how God is working.

Dad / Mom Wager said...

J & J, Question.
Once Vacya is in your care do you have to take him back to class daily until you leave? Or is the orphanage a thing of the past once he's in your care?

On the homefront:
Grandpa Bobs birthday is on April 27th.

The Maple Syrup Festival is this weekend of the 25th. The Forest Hill Church of Christ Senior Youth Group is serving Pancakes & Sausage on Sat morning.
We vounteered thru the Hospital, Gratiot Medical Center Alma. As a thank you the hospital gave all who volunteered a free T-Shirt.

No new baby yet.
Javan and Jeremiah are very sick with some type of virus. They both had doc appts yesterday.
Jeremiah is a very very sad boy :(
Malachi has a soccer game this morning.

The pool is open already!

Tigers are doing great! We started out with 0 & 7 UGH! Then 2 & 10.
As of 4/25 we are 10 & 14.
Pistons are in bad shape; in the playoffs we have won 1 and lost 2.
We got buried last night by the 76'ers!
Love you all, Dad and Mom

Dad / Mom Wager said...

I know time is standing still
right now....but soon you will be hopping again.

On the homefront:
Javan & Jeremiah are much better.
Jeremiah has "Cingular" added to his meds now.
The nursery is done & looks absolutely adorable. Jeremiah tries to say "pooh bear" but it comes out like "Pooh-Bee".

The family all enjoyed talking with you two yesterday. Richardsons,Wernicks, & Wagers were in PONDO celebrating Grandpa Bob's birthday when we called.

Go Pistons!! 2 & 2...Wow! They sure came out playing the 2nd half.
bout' time they played some "Sheed"
ball! I think it was the technical Rasheed got just before the 1/2.
It usually gets the team fired up!

Prayers and hugs continuing.
Love, Beki