Monday, April 28, 2008

2nd Easter

We celebrated Easter for the second time this year yesterday. The kids from the orphanage came to church and we had them color Easter eggs and do an Easter egg hunt. They had a great time and kept hiding the eggs for each other. One of the boys was digging in some piles of dirt and burying the eggs... I'm not sure they were ever found. Micah, maybe your buddy Sally will find them in her yard sometime :) There was a picnic after church, so I took some good-ol' American macaroni and cheese. It didn't taste quite right, though, because the milk and cheese here taste kind of funny.

It was good to talk with lots of family yesterday. Joe's family was together celebrating his Grandpa Bob's birthday and my family was together celebrating my cousin Korbin's birthday so we ended up being able to talk to quite a few people between the two phone calls from home. Jason, we're hoping we make it home in time for your special olympics tournament at the end of May. And don't worry... we will be back in time for your birthday party, at least we better be considering it will be in February :)

Grandma Beki, yes, once Vacya is with us, he is with us for good. We don't plan on taking him back to the orphanage at all after that. We plan on having a going-away party for him on the day we go to bring him with us so the kids can all say their good-byes.

Several people have asked us how we spend our days here. We usually get up around 10:00am or so. It's rough, I know, but we are willing to make the sacrifice. Sometimes we hang out around the house reading or watching movies or we go for a walk to the central market (a huge flea-market where you can find just about anything from food, to clothing, to hair styling stuff, to power tools) It's pretty much got it all... exept for maybe peanut butter, which you pretty much can't get in this country. Good thing I packed a large jar of Jif. We also visit some of the shops on the walking street, including one of Shelby's favorite places, the coffee house. We generally go out to the orphanage around 4:00 in the afternoon, which means we leave our place around 3:00 because it takes an hour to get there by bus. Sometimes on the way home we stop at the grocery store to pick up some food, or go to a restaurant if we don't want to cook anything. It's really not to bad here, except I miss my dogs and horses a ton. I wish I could have at least smuggled our miniature dashchund Brom with us. There are lots of stay dogs all over the place here, so maybe I'll just adopt one of those too to help keep from getting too homesick :)

10 comments:

Julie H. said...

Hey guys, jeez you have it rough over there:) Jaime, I ran into Cassie Flory the other day and she said "Awesome" when I told her about you guys adopting Vacya. Everyone here is good, I found out however that I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics, while trying to clear up an ear infection. Ian has been doing good in his outdoor soccer games he has 5 goals in 3 games! Gianna is her usual dramatic self. We leave for Florida this coming Sunday! Sounds like the kids had fun with the Easter activities. People that I work with and shared your story to have been praying for you as well. Miss You and can't wait for your return. Love Julie

Dad / Mom Wager said...

J & J,
Enjoy the 10:00 am sleep in why you can because in a couple of weeks that is certainly going to change. :)!!

Joe, have you passed anymore kidney stones?
Jaime, hows the abdomen pain? I hope better & or tolerable for both of you. See? You have a labor
pain story to tell too mom.

Glad to know that Vacya does not need to go back to the orphanage.I was uncertain if he had to attend school daily like here in the states until he leaves the country.
Does Vacya have an idea of how many days left or have a calender that he can count the days down until he can live with you?

Found some cool adoption scrappin' & stickin' stickers for you.
"We chose you"....."Our chosen child." ect.

I'm sure the dogs & horses, ducks-geese?, & fish miss you too.
Quite the little farm you have going. It just needs this little boy!

Are you sitting down?
Unka Bill actually got on a computer to read your "love story"!! Well, to be honest his buddy Bob Binkley got him on.
Unka Bill called this morning and shared that it was snowing in Dixon. Yikes! It shouldn't stick around too long.

Matt, Raelinda, & Mom went to the cabin to turn on the water & open
it up for the summer. Yeah!!

Grandma Schultheiss is doing pretty good. I took her outside for a bit the other day to enjoy the beautiful sunshine. She asks about Vacya all the time.

Grandpa and Grandma went down to Uncle Todd & Aunt Laura's on Sat.
Cousin Ken recently moved into a nursing home which is just around the corner from Todd & Laura.
They were able to visit Ken
for a while.
Nate is engaged and they were able to meet his (beautiful) fiance'.
It was a nice day for all of them.

All you prayer warriors.....I ask that you keep this family in your prayers too. Ken has MS (or Lou Gerhigs...Docs are not certain) but
he is in his 20's and it is hard and scarey. Thank you!

otonobo said...

Jaime,
May 6th isn't too far away...though I'm sure it feels like forever.
I'm also getting testing on my gallbladder. I have my second test on May 5th...I'll be thinking of you. By the way, I started a blog: www.passionatepeaces.blogspot.com
God speed
in Him, Autumn

Dad / Mom Wager said...

Uncle Joe & Auntie Jaime,

"It's a boy! Nathaneal Isacc Scates 7 # 4 oz. Born 4/29 at 8:54 am. (not long after I spoke with you). Both mom and baby are doing great! Quickest/easiest delivery of the 4!

Julie said...

YAY! Congratulations Grandma Beki!
Please give Sarah and little Nate a hug and kiss for me! Can you post pictures?

Aunt Julie

Dad / Mom Wager said...

Correction Opps!
Nathanael Isacc Scates.

That's ok...it took me awhile to learn Vacya's too. :)

Yes, we will be post pictures of little Nathanael & mom.
Love, Grandma Beki

Julie said...

So they don't like the nickname Nate? Okay - We'll stick with the long version, but I think Nate is a cute nickname. If Tim and I have another boy someday, his name is going to be Nathan, Nate for short. I guess there is some guy on the Tigers with that name and Tim likes it. So we'd have a Nick and a Nate. Wishful thinking...:)

Aunt Julie

Dad / Mom Wager said...

J & J,
On the homefront update:
The boys arrived to meet the newest Scates boy all wearing "I'm the big brother" matching shirts!
Malachi and Javan were/are sooooooooo excited to meet Nathanael but Jeremiah??? NOT SO EXCITED. He is refusing to go to mom and dad, & refusing to even LOOK AT the baby!
We are sure he will come around.
eventually????

Uncle Matt & Aunt Raelinda said...

Hi guys! Max and Sam are getting pretty excited to meet Vacya! They are hoping to learn Russian. I told them that he needs to learn some English before that can happen, and they assure me that they would love to teach him! I can't believe it has been a month since you left. I'm sure it feels longer for you though. May 6 is almost here!

Max has his first baseball game on Monday. Henry is playing this year too, but his games don't start for a few more weeks. Do they play baseball over there? Or anything like it?

We all send our love, and miss you lots.

ps. the new baby is beautiful!
and I think it's Isaac not Isacc.

Angela Faye said...

Hi Joe & Jamie!
I've been reading up on all of this, I just haven't had a moment to make a profile and comment yet! I am so excited for both of you and I can't wait for you to get the opportunity to bring your family home!
I had the funniest dream I was telling your mom about when she came in the store shopping today Joe. I had this dream that you were home and there at Wal-Mart shopping and Vacya was hiding under racks and it was very funny.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best during the rest of your trip and I hope you both start feeling better soon!
Much Love

Ang