Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Some answers

We went back to our court yesterday to talk to the secretary there again and see if anything had been sent over to the appeals court yet. She had our information out already and was able to explain the situation. The prosecutor had 10 days to pick up an application for an appeal, but she has 20 days to turn it in. Even though our court hearing was on Friday, July 11, the official judgement didn't get turned in until Monday, July 14, so that is when the 10/20 days started. So the prosector has until August 5 to submit her reason for the appeal, which she has not done yet. That is why the appeals court did not have any documentation. The secretary said that the prosecutor did not give a reason for the appeal. She thought that maybe the prosecutor is wanting a bribe, which is what we have suspected from the beginning. The judge told us right from the start not to contact the prosecutor, so maybe he suspects it too. The secretary ended up calling the prosecutor to find out if she really has a reason for the appeal. The prosecutor said that she is preparing her complaint and will try to get it in by Friday. Andrei told us that the judge said the prosecutor can't appeal because she did not participate in the hearing, but the secretary at the court said that she still has a right to appeal even if she wasn't there. We're still hoping that the appeal will be thrown out once it is actually submitted. If it is, then hopefully we can get Vacya next week and get the process finished and come home the following week. If the appeal is accepted, there will be another hearing, which could be scheduled anytime (soon or not for another month). Joe's work has been really great and told him not to worry about his job, so he's going to be staying here with me.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Jaime - I'm so glad that the secretary helped to give you the inside scoop. I'm also glad that you won't have to stay there by yourself. You two need each other! Is it common for prosecuters to ask for bribes? Is it illegal?

Aunt Julie

Maisy said...

Yup, that sounds about right for some foreign countries. It's not unheard of. But, kind of fruitless of the prosecuter...I mean, you guys are about tapped by now, I'd think. Praying that when August 5th comes, it will be clear what the reasons are for protesting, and that they will be deemed rediculous. Glad you two can stay together. Hang in there.
Aunt Janet

Kevin and Tammy said...

We are praying that God will move this along quickly. Keep your chins up. This will all be over soon. (hopefully)
Tammy

Dad / Mom Wager said...

Kids,
Continue to hang in there.
How was your visit with Vacya on Saturday? How did he appear?
Love, Dad and Mom

Julie H. said...

J&J,
I am glad that the secretary was helpful. I am also glad that Joe's job has been gracious enough to let him stay! Our prayers are with you during this time, Julie

Shelby said...

UNBELIEVABLE!
Seriously I wish I was there with you. How was Vacya when you saw him? Ya know, I have responded to a million of these blogs but my comments are never accepted. I think I finally got the password thing right again. Hopefully you'll get this one. I love ya Jaime and Joe. And, I love Tammy! Hang in there a bit longer.
To the other comments, yes, the bribing is not only common but usually expected. It is technically illegal but laws are more suggestions in Ukraine and in Russia than absolutes.

Soon...

ArtworkByRuth said...

You are still in our prayers! We are praying that God will make the crooked paths straight! Glad you are standing firm despite the situation!

otonobo said...

Jaime,
I'm so glad that you decided to go to the court yourself. After waiting for so long, you definitely did the right thing! You guys have had the patience of Job. Hang in there. You're going to be able to write a book about the lessons God is teaching you from this! I'll be praying for your health. I can't believe how we keep paralleling each other. Since my gallbladder surgery in May, I was just tested for celiac's. I can't imagine the pain you're feeling in another country. Be strong and courageous, for the Lord your God is with you! I look forward to the day I get to meet your son.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Something always comes up with an adoption in Ukraine. Don't give up hope. Even though it is extremely difficult now, it WILL be over soon. Once everything is over and you are home with Vacya, it will all be a distant memory:)

June