Friday, August 22, 2008

Fun times


While I was home, I got to spend time with my cousin (who also happens to be one of my very bestest friends), Shelby and her family.  Many of you know that she moved to Siberia so I don't get to see her very often.  One of the most frustrating things about being in Ukraine so long is that Shelby was back in the states all summer and was staying very close to our home for several months.  She is also the one who just adopted two boys from Vacya's class at the orphanage.  We were so excited to be able to spend time together with all the kids and she could help us communicate with Vacya since she speaks Russian.  However, they are leaving the US on Monday so they won't be there once we get back with Vacya.  They are going to be in Simferopol for a while though before they head to Russia, so Vacya and I will hopefully be able to spend a little time with them there.

Shelby and kids

Three of Shelby's five kids had birthdays while they've been in Michigan, but we were in Ukraine and were bummed that we missed their parties.  The other two kids have birthdays in the fall, so we decided to have an un-birthday party for them while I was home.

The cousins

We also took the kids out to ride one of my horses one afternoon. 
 
Alec
Zhenya
Micah
Keegan
Korah

2 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Thanks for keeping us all posted on how things are going. You are in my prayers. Love you guys!

Shelby said...

I have already lost this message once because our connection is bad...Your blog was great to see. I have been calling every morning, except today, but not getting through. Your mom said that she calls the house and not the cell so I'll try that tomorrow. Micah is being baptized tomorrow so I am sure he will tell you all about it. I love ya. See ya in a few days.