Friday, August 29, 2008

waiting for a phone call as I type

I am waiting for a phone call from Andrei as I type. He spoke with our judge yesterday and was told that there will not be another hearing for the appeals court. The appeals judge will just make a decision. Our judge said that 100% it will go our way, but I think I'll wait until I actually have the paperwork in my hands before I really believe it. The appeals judge has looked over all of our documents, but we don't know when she is going to give her decision. I also have not gotten a straight answer about whether or not there will be another waiting period once the judgment is made.

Shelby and I went to visit Vacya at the orphanage yesterday and he looked good. Shelby asked him if he was worried that we left or anything since we hadn't seen him in over a week and he said no. A few of the other boys in Vacya's class have some pretty bad injuries from the last few days of camp. It was just heartbreaking to hear about. One of the boys was grabbed by some older boys when he left his room to go to the bathroom at night. They beat him and held him down by his throat and burned his face all over with lit matches. He also has his foot wrapped up, but I'm not sure what happened there. Another boy's leg or knee was hurt so badly that he is in a hospital.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Would it be another 10 day waiting period? I think you've waited enough! Maybe I should call the judge and tell her so! I feel bad for those boys - wow. It seems so odd that they can do things like that and get away with it. Vacya just has to hang in there a little longer.

I got to talk to Joe on the phone yesterday. It was nice to hear his voice. He seems like he's doing okay!

Aunt Julie

Maisy said...

I'm glad that Vacya is okay. But, it's still terrible what is happening there at the camp, I agree. And even worse, that you really feel helpless in changing it. But, only a little longer to wait, I hope. I am HAPPY to hear that it sounds like you are going to get a positive vote from the appeals judge. Hope the news comes swiftly!
Aunt Janet

Jeri said...

I hope once you are home (hey, don't you automatically qualify for Ukrainian citizenship after being there for so long...not that you'd want it necessarily) you will email me: jerigrothues@yahoo.com as I have a contact that investigates abuse/neglect in orphanages and I'm guessing this camp is basically a summer orphanage. Also, if he (Vacya) can remember names of kids that like him, are not the trouble makers but desperately need out of that orphanage!

Julie said...

I'd love to take a child out of there. I don't know if I'd have the fortitde to endure what Joe and Jaime have gone through to do it, though. I think of Joe as my little nephew, (I always call him my baby Joey - sorry to let the world know about your mushy aunt, Joe) but this process has really shown to me that they both have a maturity and patience beyond their years. I am so proud of them.